POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Development model : Re: Development model Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Development model
From: Ron Parker
Date: 2 Dec 1998 14:16:11
Message: <366591fb.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:19:30 -0500, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom> wrote:

>I agree, but I don't think that the POV-Ray team needs to run this new
>development model.  I think someone else could run it (it wouldn't violate
>povlegal.doc, would it?).

I don't see how it would violate povlegal, other than the issue of having
a stable build have a real name (e.g. the official maintainer's) on it,
while the unstable tree would have to have the usual "insert name here"
stuff in optout.h, and perhaps additional disclaimers and notices, since
the official maintainer wouldn't want to take credit for just anything
checked in by anyone, but it would have to be apparent to people getting
the code that it was not official.

>Of course, this implies that someone has free time and server space to
>donate...

Someone (i.e. me) is already donating free time.  Lots of it.  Many bugfixes
(especially the ones I reported) have made their way into the superpatch,
though I need to go over your list and see which ones I missed.  All that
needs to happen is that the superpatch gets put on a CVS server. Since I don't
have a full-time connection capable of running CVS, I can't do that, but I
would be happy to help out if someone else wants to do that.  Indeed, if
someone wanted to donate some old hardware(*) to run Linux, I could probably
get permission to set up a CVS server at work, though perhaps with limited
operating hours, depending on the load it would generate.

(*) Required hardware: 486/66 or better, case, power supply, 10baseT ethernet
card, video card.  I have a couple 200M HDs, but a bigger HD might be nice, too.
If the motherboard supports VLB, I have a video card already. If you have this
rusting in a corner and want to contribute, give me a yell and I'll start
seeing if I can get the requisite permissions and DNS assignments.