POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Feature Question/Request : Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:17:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 19 Nov 1998 21:10:50
Message: <3654CF95.D4AEBC5A@flash.net>
John VanSickle wrote:

> The cross product of two 3d vectors certainly does yield another vector.
> If it didn't, half of my code wouldn't work!

I said "pseudovector".  A velocity vector, for example, is a real
thing.  If I have a right-hand or left-hand coordinate system
doesn't matter.  But if I take the cross product of two sides
of a cube side in a fashion which yields a normal pointing
outside the box in a LHS, when I switch to a RHS the same
cross product will yield a normal pointing inside the box.
Since it is non-physical for a quantity to depend on the
coordinate system used, the term "pseudovector" is used.

The same thing happens with angular momentum, which is a
pseudovector (it's defined as a cross-product).  It is
fundamentally different from linear momentum.

In Physics, this is important when considering conserved
quantities like parity.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/