POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Map Feature Question/Request : Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Map Feature Question/Request
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Nov 1998 11:58:41
Message: <365059c1.0@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:53:21 +0200, Margus Ramst
	<mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:
>Yeah, I also agree that centering image_maps would be logical, but it has never
>annoyed me, so I haven't complained. Getting height_hields to look right is a
>pain anyway, so the translate -.5 thingy kinda doesn't matter. Still, you have a
>point.

Consider what this will do to the people and applications who expect
the current behavior, as well.  Also, the only object I am aware of that
appears centered on the origin is the torus.  Most objects are created
where you say they should be, and it's only the various modelers that
force them to be created at the origin.

>The other problem is much more important. I don't think it's very difficult (to
>somebody much wiser than me ;)). You shouldn't need any parametric mapping in
>many cases (like applying an image to only one side of a polygon or cylinder).
>This is how I imagine it: if the outside surface is hit by the sample ray,
>calculate the map color; if the inside is hit, don't calculate. This should be a
>sufficient solution in most cases (like the bottle label example).

This doesn't keep it from showing up on the outside surface opposite
the one you thought it would be on.  One could predicate it on the
normal of the surface at the point of intersection, however.