POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Where to get NON BEta Povray? : Re: Where to get NON BEta Povray? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to get NON BEta Povray?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Nov 1998 15:16:43
Message: <364c93ab.0@news.povray.org>
In article <364844fc.0@news.povray.org> , par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker)
wrote:
>Crackle and the turbulence warp were messing with the RNG, and there were
>a couple of things broken in other places: a missing case in blob cylinders,
>and a problem that must have led to unopened files attempting to be closed
>in the expression parser.  I'm not 'in the know' or anything, I just happen
>to keep all of the old official releases of source code around for my
>superpatch work, and these are the things a quick 'diff -ur' shows.
>
>In addition to 3.1a, there were some other small changes made in the Windows
>code between the release of the official binary and the release of the
>official source.  Some of us call this 3.1a+, though nobody knows what
>the POV-Team calls it (still 3.1a in optout.h) and it's the codebase the
>next version of the superpatch will derive from.

The rule is simple: r1, r2, etc for platform fixes and a, b, etc for core code fixes.
So may look like this:
3.1      // official, generic core change
3.1r1    // official, platform change only
3.1r2    // official, platform change only
3.1a     // official, generic core and platform fix
3.1a.r1  // official, platform change only

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.