POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Hair? Fur? Beards? : Re: Hair? Fur? Beards? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hair? Fur? Beards?
From: Mark Nelson
Date: 14 Nov 1998 14:24:36
Message: <364D929D.FCB9A926@tc.umn.edu>
Prez Midnite wrote:

> Hello...
>
> I've been trying to develop some characters and have run into a
> block....
>
> I need a way to create (or fake) semi-realistic, long, flowing hair...
> furry animals... facial hair, etc... (essential elements of wizard
> stories!)
>
> Does anyone have advice on how this can be done, particularly with the
> possibility
> of later animation in mind? I'm not necessarily going for
> photorealism...
>
> Prez Midnite............... out.
> pre### [at] hotmailcom
> http://westwood.fortunecity.com/sander/73/index.html
> "The Constitution admittedly has a few defects and blemishes,
> but it still seems a hell of a lot better than the system we have now."
>                                     -- Robert Anton Wilson

heh, notice how no one touched on this one.. ;) Fur/Hair/etc is pretty
tough to do, and making it animate is even harder.. One idea that had
come to mind was to use the object bender and write a program to say how
much each strand of hair/fur should bend at a given moment.  It would be
pretty complex, but not as bad as if you were trying to use balastic
motion equations or anything.   Animals will be even tougher, I was
thinking of attempting a kitten for my next irtc entry, but I really
don't know if I'll have time to work on it.  Good luck, it won't be
easy, but if you put enough study into it you might be able to get
satisfactory results.  Just remember that the guys at pixar that got
paid the most were the ones who figured out how to do the fur movement
on the dog in Toy Story, so if you can't get it, don't feel too bad. :)
						Nite_Hawk