POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where to adjust the rendering and image quality? : Re: Where to adjust the rendering and image quality? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:12:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to adjust the rendering and image quality?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 9 Nov 1998 12:59:25
Message: <36472d7d.0@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 09 Nov 1998 16:31:46 GMT, N. Foldager <nfo### [at] usanet> wrote:
>I'm a brand new POV-user.
>
>When I render in POV-ray, the resolution is *very* bad; big pixels and
>"staircased" edges.
>
>I set Render/GUI priority and Render/Render priority to "Highest", but
>that doesn't help.

It shouldn't; those settings control how 'nice' POV-Ray is in terms of
how much time it allows other processes to use.  Most people leave this
at normal or below if they're doing other things on the machine.  These
options only affect how long it takes to render, not what the result
looks like.

>Would someone be so kind as to tell me how I conctrol the quality
>setting, in particular the resolution?

You should see a dropdown list somewhere near the top of your screen
with entries like "160x120, No AA" or "640x480, AA 0.3".  Changing
this allows you to change the resolution of the rendered image.  Images
with AA (antialiasing) have a much less noticeable stairstep effect, as
do those at higher resolutions, but of course they take longer to render.

For more information than you ever wanted about antialiasing and resolution,
check out the section entitled "options reference" in the POV-Ray manual
(not the POV for Windows manual, the other one.  Both are available either
from the help menu within POV or from the start menu group that was created
when you installed POV.)