POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Are there any docs on the SOURCE code to POV? : Are there any docs on the SOURCE code to POV? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:34 EDT (-0400)
  Are there any docs on the SOURCE code to POV?
From: Whatever
Date: 5 Nov 1998 07:03:32
Message: <36419414.0@news.povray.org>
Like a lot of you, I play with POV, and I am awed by the images it can
generate. Also like a lot of you, I keep getting ideas for "what if it
could...?' or "I wish they would fix...". But reading the POV source code
is, to me, a rather daunting task (to put it mildly).

I have read quite thoroughly the docs on the POV scene description language,
and I am rather expert at that. Now I want to move on to the next
step--modifying POV to do some new things. But the spaghetti tangle of code
is extremely hard for me to follow--it's very hard to know just where to
begin, to make patches to POV. Not to mention that the commenting tends to
be rather on the sparse side.

So what I'm asking is, is there any documentation available on the POV
source code? Like a tutorial, that explains the logic of each section; what
it's doing and why? Or, more to the point, documentation that can help me to
understand how to modify the source in a way that won't crash POV? Things
like how to insert a new type of object especially would be appreciated, and
how to modify the scene description grammer?

I've seen lots of patches--so there's got to be people out there who know
how to make modes--I'd love to learn! :)

Thanks to all in advance
--Boumboum