POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Suggestions for new POV-Ray Win Features : Re: Suggestions for new POV-Ray Win Features Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for new POV-Ray Win Features
From: Markus Becker
Date: 2 Nov 1998 05:39:56
Message: <363D8C98.139D0BDC@zess.uni-siegen.de>
Ronald L. Parker wrote:

> This is an interesting statement, coming from someone who actually has
> POV-Ray 3.1 available for his platform.  I'm sure some Unix
> afficionados here would have a slightly different perception of it, if
> they bothered to read this group.  Maybe they're all over in
> povray.unix... nope, only Windows has its own group.  Must be an
> anti-Windows thing.

The reason for this is: Any user who has a Unix system running,
is able to install and run POV. For a Windows user this is not
necessarily true! ;-)

> That's the nice thing about that new rule in POVLEGAL.  Nobody will
> ever pollute POV with platform-specific crud like COM and DirectX or a
> shortsighted implementation of Unix shared libraries (as in panorama)
> while the POV-Team is there to exercise some control over the
> direction of development.

I completely agree. What is nice about your statement is that you
mentioned "crud like COM or a shortsighted implementation of Unix
shared libraries" in one sentence. Unbiased. Nice.

Markus