POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh to solid : Re: Mesh to solid Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh to solid
From: John VanSickle
Date: 30 Oct 1998 19:05:19
Message: <363A2B25.DFC5FD46@erols.com>
Tommy Grav wrote:

> I have one short question :-)
>
> Meshes in povray become hollow objects. Is there
> any way to convert a mest to a solid object?
>
> What I want is to have the mesh define the outer
> limits of the object but still be able to cut
> out of it to make more complexed shapes.

If the mesh describes a convex shape, you can do it with an intersection
of planes.

If the mesh describes a concave shape, divide it into convex shapes,
define the convexes as intersections of planes, and merge the results
together.

In either case, the final result should be manually bound, or else they
will be infinite objects, and cause rendering to slow to a crawl.

Regards,
John
--
"I see some really stupid children being born as a result of these
two meeting." -- Tom Servo