POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Noise Function : Re: Noise Function Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise Function
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 30 Oct 1998 12:00:25
Message: <3639F091.B68B1098@remove-this.reading.ac.uk>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:16:25 -0500, Jerry Anning <cle### [at] dholcom> wrote:
> >Ron Parker wrote:
>
> >> Finally, if you're looking for someone to write a function to do what
> >> Noise does in a POV script, then you asked in the right group.  It's
> >> really easy to add, but nobody's ever asked for it.  Maybe it'll find
> >> its way into the superpatch before I freeze development on it.
> >
> >What about the noise3d function from the Isosurface patch?
>
> You can't use it in an expression.  It only works in isosurfaces, implicits,
> parametrics, and textures: basically, everywhere you can use a #declared
> function.
>
> That's not to say it _couldn't_ work, only that it doesn't.

 One patch I made to my v3.02 code was an "evaluate" function which took a
declared isosurface function and a position vector, returning the value of the
function at that position. I am not sure if I still have a copy of this, but I
remember it being quite a simple to patch to implement, mostly an extra function
in the expression parsing code.
    I was going to try extending this to return values for any texture pattern,
but v3.1 betas started ariving and I got very sidetracked ... Thinking about it,
it may be easier in v3.1 - the relavent code to get a pattern value must be in
several places, so all that's needed is a wrapper function in the expression
parser? I'll try to peruse the SuperPatch source and see if I can put a
patchette together this weekend :-)

    Bye for now,
        Mike Andrews.