POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mesh to solid : Re: Mesh to solid Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh to solid
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 28 Oct 1998 14:03:48
Message: <363778DB.C29B1B02@peak.edu.ee>
Tommy Grav wrote:

> I have one short question :-)
>
> Meshes in povray become hollow objects. Is there
> any way to convert a mest to a solid object?
>
> What I want is to have the mesh define the outer
> limits of the object but still be able to cut
> out of it to make more complexed shapes.
>
> --
> Tommy Grav
> tom### [at] astrouiono     http://www.uio.no/~tommygr/
> Institute of Astrophysics, UiO, No
> IMTU tn++t4+tg+ ru+ge++ !3i jt+au+st+ls hi++dr-so++zh-sy-sw++

I haven't done very much CSG with triangle meshes (well, not in POV anyway). But
this much I know: a triangle mesh does not have a well-defined inside and
outside. Therefore the results of CSG may be unpredictable. Sometimes it looks
right - mostly it doesn't.
As for converting to a solid object - a mesh of triangles will always remain
just that. I can think of no way that you coul convert it into a parametric
surface. Maybe you should try using bezier patches instead?

Margus