POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Some textures don't work, while others do... : Re: Some textures don't work, while others do... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some textures don't work, while others do...
From: Ken
Date: 18 Oct 1998 15:54:07
Message: <362A3930.CA516DD0@pacbell.net>
Ivo van Doesburg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded PovRay 3.1 and now I'm stuck on a little problem..
>
> This renders just fine:
>   text { ttf "timrom.ttf" "Quarkness" .6,0
>     pigment { Brown_Agate }
>    finish { reflection .25 specular 1 }
>    translate <-1.3,0.6,-0.9>
>    rotate <20,30,10>
>   }
>
> But if I change the texture to 'NBwinebottle' (which is in the same
> .inc-file) it doesn't work and I get the mesage:
>
> warning: Pigment type unspecified or not 1st item.
>
> and
>
> error: No matching } in pigment, texture identifier found instead.
>
> Anybody knows the solution to this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ivo van Doesburg

   That is an easy one to answer. You are trying to use
a defined texture as a pigment. Change it to the following
and it should work correctly. A hint for you on this one
is to always take a look at the #declare statment in the
.inc file. If it is a texture it will typicaly start with:

#declare My_Tex =
texture{pigment{color Red}finish{Shiny}}

Where as a pigment will simply start as:

#declare My_Pig =
pigment { color Red }

  Also try using the glass textures in the .inc files as
is without a surface finish to start off with. If you add
a finish afterwards it can cause the original to not work
like it was supposed to.
  That is not to say you can't and you should learn to
change them, but in the beginning ...

Here is the fix:

text { ttf "timrom.ttf" "Quarkness" .6,0
 texture { NBwinebottle
  finish { reflection .25 specular 1 }}
   translate <-1.3,0.6,-0.9>
    rotate <20,30,10> }

or with out the finish statement:

text { ttf "timrom.ttf" "Quarkness" .6,0
 texture { NBwinebottle }
  translate <-1.3,0.6,-0.9>
   rotate <20,30,10> }

Ken Tyler