POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POVWIN 3.1a source code. : Re: POVWIN 3.1a source code. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVWIN 3.1a source code.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Oct 1998 12:57:41
Message: <36276cf5.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:38:28 GMT, povray.org admin team
	<new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg> wrote:
>>beta... I overlooked it.)  I'm curious, though, why the message
>>from optout.h wasn't sufficient.
>
>If you're referring to the 'UNOFFICIALCOMPILE' define, that's not new. It's
>been there for at least two years (to my recollection). It's certainly in the
>3.01 source.

Believe me, I know.  I'm embarassed that I forgot to make that change in the
superpatch beta, which is why I'm thankful for the #error that's been added.
But I was just idly wondering why it was necessary even in 3.0x.  The text
from optout.h gets displayed in the message window as well, right?  Not
that there's anything wrong with it, but it just seems redundant.

>>Other patchers should note, too, that there's a difference between
>>this version and the 3.0x version: the editor DLLs apparently must
>>be in the directory the executable was started from rather than in
>>the 'home' directory as on 3.0x.
>
>Not so. They must be in the 'bin' directory underneath the POV-Ray install dir.
>The location of the install dir is obtained from the INI file and is not
>dependent on where you run the EXE from. This is basically the same scheme as
>3.0x.

Then there's a problem, because my build gave me errors until I put the
DLLs in the build directory.  It loads cmedit.dll from the home directory,
but not cmax101.dll.  The problem is, cmedit implicitly loads cmax101, and
windows can't find cmax101 in the default search path (it's a little-known
fact that the search path does _not_ include the path from which the
current module, in this case cmedit, was loaded.) If the povray home
directory is in your path, or if your current directory is the home
directory, this problem will not appear.