POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POVWIN 3.1a source code. : Re: POVWIN 3.1a source code. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVWIN 3.1a source code.
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Oct 1998 12:10:58
Message: <36276202.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:41:35 GMT, povray.org admin team
	<new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg> wrote:
>We're about to release the POVWIN 3.1a source code. It's also had a few minor
>post-3.1a tweaks, mostly to font handling in the message window and editor.

When I build it, there's an ugly dark horizontal line across the
message window background at regular intervals.  It looks like the
tile bitmap is one row smaller than POV thinks it is.  I'm building
in release mode on VC++5.0 SP3 on a P-II/333 on WinNT 5.0 beta 2
and my video is an AGP Diamond Stealth 3D/ViRGE GX2 at 1152x864x16
bits.

>Once you've made the change to pvengine.h (see the comments below), as long as
>you're using one of the above compilers, it should build 'out of the box'.

I notice in the comments that the splash screen now requires your
copyright message.  I'm neither for nor against this; I just thought
it was worth singling out so everyone knows about it.  It might
help, too, to put the exact text of the copyright message into
the readme file so we know exactly what we're expected to include.

Thanks for putting the #error into pvengine.h.  That additional
change is easy to overlook otherwise (just look at the superpatch
beta... I overlooked it.)  I'm curious, though, why the message
from optout.h wasn't sufficient.

There is one problem with building "out of the box" on VC++ 5.0 in
release mode.  The linker settings do not include comctl32.lib.
I seem to recall that this was a problem in the 3.02 version as well.
However, add that library and the build works just fine.  When I
try to run it after building, though, it tells me that everything
is out of date and needs to be rebuilt.  I'm not sure if this is
a problem with the project or a quirk of my configuration, but I
know that my real work doesn't suffer from this problem.  If I
ignore that message and go on, everything works just fine except
for the black line in the message window.

Other patchers should note, too, that there's a difference between
this version and the 3.0x version: the editor DLLs apparently must
be in the directory the executable was started from rather than in
the 'home' directory as on 3.0x.