POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Adding custom dialogs for code generation : Re: Adding custom dialogs for code generation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding custom dialogs for code generation
From: Jon Berndt
Date: 13 Oct 1998 18:06:21
Message: <3623c0cd.0@news.povray.org>
>Which is what I presumed you were referring to. The basic functionality
>of the insert menu has not changed one bit between 3.0 and 3.1. Just the
>way it's built (static text file vs directory structure).

>At a later date we intend to allow much more flexibility with the insert
menu ;
>changing it to a directory structure was part of this strategy. No
timetable
>for this has been set. No specific features have been set. However, it is
>likely to include (but not be limited to) the ability to prompt the user
for
>parameters and run calculations (most likely using wscript), and to assign
>bitmap or animated GIF to represent an object, colour, or texture.

I meant the directory structure - I like that better. However, I hadn't
really looked at the way 3.0 did it, either, so I was actually comparing it
to pre-3.0, I think. The answer to my original question, partially, comes
from your statement above about what may be coming at a later date: "The
ability to prompt the user for parameters and run calculations ...". IMHO,
this would open a floodgate of possibilities, add-ons, customizations, etc.
It's a great idea.

- jon -