POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 2D to 3D : Re: 2D to 3D Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D to 3D
From: Ken
Date: 12 Oct 1998 15:06:35
Message: <36224510.6A65F072@pacbell.net>
Matthew Thompson wrote:

> I have a one color logo that I would love to generate a 3D image of.  It is
> a circular logo.  Is there any way to take this image and convert it to a 3D
> image with out to much of a struggle

There are a couple of methods that come to mind. Probably
the fastest way would be to create a height field out of it.
Take your logo image in to a paint program and produce a two
color black and white image. Make the logo part white and the
background black. Then use the water_level modifier to chop off
any remnants of the back ground. You could also have the logo
black and the background white which would carved out your logo
shape from the height field object.

The code would look something like this:

height_field {
gif "logo.gif"  // your blk/wht image
smooth          // helps smooth the edges
water_level .05 // to clear up the back ground
translate -0.5  // center the image to the height field object
scale<1,.25,1>  // define the demensions
rotate 90*-x    // add this if your camera is at -z
texture{your pigment finish whatever}
}

Ken Tyler