POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Radiosity : Re: Radiosity Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity
From: Peter Popov
Date: 9 Oct 1998 22:07:49
Message: <361eb365.0@news.povray.org>
Marc SCHEFFER wrote in message <361BDC68.F842C77A@wanadoo.fr>...
>You know, you can find some tips on how radiosity works in PoV's doc.
Roughly
>(please, feel free to correct me if I do any mistake due to loss of
memory...)
>It's a way to achieve a better result than ambient light, by calculating
first a
>"normaliz (s ?)ed" ambient value for each of a lot of subdividings in the
final
>image, and then using it to render with a correct look and feel. Quite time
>consuming, but really worth if you have a powerful enough cpu.
>
>And again, sorry if some of my explanations here were wrong, I haven't the
doc
>here...

Actually, my question was a little bit different. Yes, I know how radiosity
is implemented in POV, but it's still raytracing, since it relies on
shooting rays, intersecting with (mostly polynomial) objects etc. I think
Radiance uses a completely different approach. For example, in the c.g.r.r.
faq it is said that rendering speed in Radiance is not affected by the
number of objects in the scene (?!?!?). I am just curios, that's all.

Peter