POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Xmas-tree : Re: Xmas-tree Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:35:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Xmas-tree
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 9 Oct 1998 22:11:03
Message: <361EC0B5.EA06A9F2@xs4all.nl>
Ken wrote:

> Remco de Korte wrote:
>
> > Well, don't thank me, because the code has more bugs in it then my bed.
> > I fixed it up a bit, so here's a new version (no major improvements, just took
> > out the annoying bits).
> >
> > If you have any more suggestions for improvement they're more then welcome.
> >
> > Remco
>
>     Last night I attempted to use your last version in a scene.
> I had 12 xtrees declared and before the scene could render windows
> popped up and told me that I was running out of hard drive space.
> The swapfile size had grown to over 180,000,000 bytes and had
> consumed my 98 megs of ram. If you have any improvements to make it
> would have to be in the memory use area. I mean wow that's a lot of
> memory to use in one scene.
>    I'm going to try it again to night and see if I can lower the
> needle count because the scene I'm using it in would really look
> great with the inclusion of pine trees.
>
> Anyway thanks again.
>
> Ken Tyler

Heehee, I told you it'd need a lot of memory, didn't I? Or didn't I....?
I made the same mistake at first and I'm still struggling. Just keep the amount
of lightsources down, or at least make them shadowless. I didn't even try
area-lights.
One way to cut down the amount of memory needed is to make the tree smaller.
Everything you take of goes of at the bottom, so it'll make a huge difference.
Anyway, if you find it unuseful, just leave it. I wish I could, but I need the
darned thing ;-)

Remco