POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Twyst and twysted.net : Re: Twyst and twysted.net Server Time
6 Sep 2024 14:11:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twyst and twysted.net
From: Paul Mathis
Date: 5 Oct 1998 17:57:18
Message: <3619313D.5AA4@nationwide.net>
Eric wrote:

> Just thought i would drop a little line about a character called Twyst.

I have been following this thread for the last week, as well as having
been a witness to the conversation which led to him getting banned the
second time, and have now decided to post a reply. I have been reluctant
to do so because I'm not really interested in taking part of a whiny
debate, but I really do feel I need to express my opinion on several
issues which have developed as a result of the initial post.

In case it has not yet been mentioned, "Eric" was, and may still be nown
as _panacea and frequented the #povray channel on Dalnet.  Other than he
two main instances, he seemed fairly easy to get along with, and I orked
on a small IMP related project with him for a short time.

I was not present during the whole "nuking" incident and only read the
logs.  While I feel that Twyst nuking _panacea over a text flood may
have been a bit extreme, _panacea was willing to forgive and forget
about it, they worked out their little problem, _panacea was unbanned,
and everyone was happy.  Had _panacea's hard disk been corrupted as a
result of this incident, he sure never bothered to mention it to anyone.
I've had to reload windows before, and I will tell you, it's a pain in
the ass, and I'm not the least bit bashful about expressing my feelings
for microsoft products while I'm doing it.  _Panacea did none of these
things.  He was only upset about getting banned and threating legal
action for a nuke, but nothing about losing data or having to spend time
reformatting/reinstalling his hard drive.

Three weeks later, Twyst was running a mp3 player script in the #povray
channel, and we all know by now that this led to a long drawn out flame
war which resulted in _panacea getting banned.  While this little fight
was going on, I was talking with him trying to calm him down and get him
to drop the whole issue before he got himself banned.  He made it very
clear that he was well aware that he would be banned for what he was
saying, and also that he did NOT care about pissing anyone off in the
process.  Not only was he chewing out Twyst, he also started chewing out
Tea-Party (another user on at the time), just because Tea wanted the
fight to stop so the discussion could move back to a more povray related
topic.

I personally have to deal with arrogant people in my life (not just
IRC).  This might come as a shock to some, but there are a lot of people
in the world who have a "holier than thou" attitude about themselves,
and they can be challenging to work with.  Amazingly though, most
people are able to put up with them, or find ways to avoid them.
_panacea was not willing to just grim and bear it or leave the channel
if Twyst's very existance was too much for him to handle.  If he was
helping another user, he could have just as easily done it in a private
chat, free from ANY distractions.  But since that obviously wasn't an
option, he instead chose to go off and start a flame war instead.  As
far as I'm concerned, he got what he deserved. End of story.

Then he posts a message to the newsgroups, hoping to discredit Twyst and
his website, as well as explain to everyone how miserable his own life
really is because Twyst was born. He claims that Twyst's nuke attack
killed/corrupted/erased his harddrive.  THIS IS A LIE!!! He did not
spend hours reloading his system, he just made the whole thing up to
garner sympathy, since he realized that his endless whining would
probably go unnoticed unless he could make himself appear bruised and
beaten at the hands of the Mighty Pov-God Twyst.  He is only playing
everyone for fools, and he deserves only to be ignored.

As for his #povray2 channel, it is not a channel created for the express
purpose of discussing Povray.  It was created out of despise for Twyst
and those who choose to side with him.  He has made blatent insults
toward the entire Povray community by stating that anyone who has not
created a large number of scene files (up to his standards no doubt),
does not deserve the recognition of others.  The fact that some people
are able to contribute to the development of a raytracing program
without making lots of pretty pictures seems to be a point that
_panacea has missed completely.  If you've never entered the IRTC, or
haven't put up a webpage with pictures that have taken hundreds of hours
of work, just remember.... he's insulting you as well.  He is NOT making
any friends, and he very well stated that he doesn't care either.

He reminds me, in a way, of someone I knew a long time ago.  He was
probably about 10 at the time and seemed to be generally upset with the
whole world because life just wasn't fair and things just never went his
way.  That guy grew up and got over his attitude problem and found
that the world really is a much better place from a different
perspective.  In time, _panacea will get past puberty and get over his
petty differences.  Until then, he should be given as much credibility
as the kid who punches someone bigger than him, then complains when the
other hits back.

Paul Mathis
aka
Restil