POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Video Cards : Re: Video Cards Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:09:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Cards
From: Lewis Sellers
Date: 4 Oct 1998 06:09:39
Message: <36173B5F.9296CEC1@usit.net>
s wrote:

> If l used one of the newer 3-D video cards - Creative Lab's
> Voodoo for instance would this significantly improve rendering time and/or
> quality ? I realise that these cards are manufactured for gaming but could
> they work or is it worth buying a decent PCI SVGA card ?
>
> Shaun.

Won't do you much of any good. Most 3D accelerator cards simply
manipulate pre-rendered textures at high speed. They can blend, twist,
warp and mutilate the images sent to them, but they can't do any of the
computational expensive raytracing that povray does. Entirely difference
thing.

Best thing to do (for povray) is probably get a good cheap matrox
millennium or like-grade 2d card.

--
Lewis A. Sellers: writer and contract Multimedia Website Developer
mailto:lse### [at] usitnet (The Fourth Millennium Foundation)

You can bug the living bejesus out of me live on ICQ @ 491461
(If I don't get back to you within a month, I'm out of prozac in some
dark corner somewhere screaming things quite unintelligable but -- most
curiously -- thick with a sumerian accent.)

"The comedy is over" -i pagliacci