POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : some questions : some questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  some questions
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 3 Oct 1998 10:39:04
Message: <36163799.6F25E7E5@xs4all.nl>
To prolonge my status as a technical (hopefully not allround) nitwit I
have the following questions:
(btw - I'm not too good with English either so if this sounds
nonsensical to you just have a good laugh)

- for some images parsing takes more time then the actual rendering.
This has something to do with the amount of objects in the scene, I
reckon. For some of my scenes parsing really got out of hand and had my
systems rattling for a couple of hours. This has probably got something
to do with the swap-file (I use Win95), so it's a matter of memory. Is
there a way to determin how much memory an object will need (doesn't
have to be very exact)? Is it true that adding lightsources increases
the amount of memory needed (dramatically)? I know about the rendering,
but at this moment I have more troubles with parsing and I'm seriously
considering adding another 64Mb to my new system.
- this may sound as a stupid one: with v3.01 you could keep POVray in a
small Window on top of other applications. I couldn't find that option
in v3.1 but that's not my problem. At this moment my computer is
rendering one large scene (takes a couple of days) and an animation.
They're both about halfway, but I could stop the animation to speed up
the other session. The problem is, I accidentally pulled out the
mouseplug and now the mouse doesn't work anymore (yes: I did plug it
back in again :-)). So I was wondering if I could get at that sessions
with the keyboard (Win95) again, or is double-clicking the only way?

- while I'm at it: is it possible to stop a rendering session, close
POVray and continue the session where you left of? (it's probably
somewhere in the docs, but I haven't found it still).

My apologies if my story is a bit long.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Remco de Korte