POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Twyst and twysted.net : Re: Twyst and twysted.net Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:10:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Twyst and twysted.net
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Oct 1998 16:37:48
Message: <3613da0c.0@news.povray.org>
On 1 Oct 1998 14:34:27 -0500, Eric <eri### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
>Once again, another Pov-ray op trying to defend the criminal activities of
>Twyst.

I guess I missed something.  Would you care to quote the specific line
where I defended any alleged "criminal activities"?  I was pretty sure
I only defended all of the other ops on twysted.net and #povray from your
baseless and prejudiced attacks.

>What everyone must realize is that the argument between Twyst and I
>erupted out of the fact that I was trying to help a new user.  Twyst made
>that almost impossible with his incessant "script" tests.

It didn't erupt out of the fact that you were trying to help a new user.
It erupted out of the fact that you were incapable of ignoring a few lines
of unnecessary text emitted by Twyst's script.  I didn't notice the guy
you were helping complaining about them.  It looks like he went away happy.

What about all the people who were trying to have a conversation while you
posted what looks like a sizeable chunk of POV code in channel?  That's why
we have DCC.  Why weren't you using it?

>As for a lawsuit, i would enjoy the challenge, and due to the provable loss
>that I had due to Twyst's actions, I intend to pursue any and all actions
>against Twyst.

Provable?  Where are your logs?  What evidence do you have?  Didn't you
wipe out all your evidence, if you had any, when you reinstalled Windows?
It looks like the only "proof" we have is Twyst's logs, where he  claims
self-defense against a Denial of Service attack from you, which is just as
illegal as a nuke attack.  In addition to that, there's a substantial body
of evidence, including Microsoft press releases, that shows that so-called
'nuke' attacks don't cause any more permanent damage to a Windows
installation than any other unrecoverable page fault or even a power
failure would under the same circumstances.

Part of the responsibility lies with you, as well.  If I leave the keys in
the car with the door open, I have a much weaker case when the bad guys come
along and take it.  If you failed to install the security updates that make
impossible what you claim is a devastating attack, and if you didn't feel
your data was important enough to create and follow a backup procedure, you
also have a much weaker case.