POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : bicubic patch transluscent? : Re: bicubic patch transluscent? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bicubic patch transluscent?
From: Ken
Date: 30 Sep 1998 22:59:56
Message: <3612E1D2.B51417AD@pacbell.net>
David Greaves wrote:

> eerie...
>
> I just posted the same problem on povray.general  - I uploaded a couple of images
> - take a look.
> Same problem? (nb my pipes are bicubic patches - from sPatch)
>
> I used a standard texture T_Silver_5B (ok, I changed the roughness from 1/60 to
> 1/20 - but thats all)
>
> I doubt the problem is that which Nieminen describes. All my patches have
> flatness 0 and we're not getting spots or cracks, its a nice smooth (but
> unwanted) light
>
> David

In light of the fact you are experiencing problems with
patches it wouldn't hurt to try a non zero value.
Try a value of  0.01 - 0.0001 and see what kinds of
differences there are.
It also wouldn't hurt to double check your spatch
source file to make sure it doesn't contain overlooked
errors. I haven't used it much myself yet, but it is a
common occurrence in 3D modeling packages, to
think you have all of your vertices properly connected,
only to find out later, when looked at from a different
angle, things are not what they appeared to be.

Ken Tyler

-- I trace Rays but those guys can really hide ! --