POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using POVray in C++ programming? : Re: Using POVray in C++ programming? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using POVray in C++ programming?
From: Paul Mathis
Date: 30 Sep 1998 16:49:36
Message: <361289FF.5040@nationwide.net>
pik### [at] inavnet wrote:

> Okay, I am very new at this stuff..
>    I am producing a 3-d game for the PC in C++ language. Since in most
> of the books I have read, they tell me that ray-tracing is the best for
> graphics wise (fast).  This is where I need help.  HOw do I use the
> POVray images I create in C++???
>
> BTW: The game is going to RPG with the genre of
>      gothic horror..
>
> If possible please e-mail me at Cod### [at] yahoocom

Raytracing is NOT fast.  Perhaps you're confusing it with ray casting?
they are not the same thing.

If you want to use the OUTPUT of a povray image, meaning the tga format
file (or whatever format you wish to convert it to), then all you need
is the C++ code for reading the image in.  If you want to use the scene
file itself, then you're not only in for a lot of work, but you're going
to seriously cripple the speed of your game.  Povray scene files are not
designed to be rendered on the fly.

-Paul Mathis
aka Restil
pma### [at] dfwnet