POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Media clouds. : Re: Media clouds. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media clouds.
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 29 Sep 1998 10:39:09
Message: <3610E403.6FB9964A@reading.ac.uk>
Ken wrote:

> Michael Andrews wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >     Well, for those who were so nice in their praise of my clouds,
> > here's a (slightly cleaned up and annotated) copy of the source ;-)
> >
> >     All the best,
> >         Mike Andrews.
>
> I haven't said anything nice yet but there is always
> a time to start. Awesome dude. Great stuff.
> Hey who is that guy ?

 Ahhh! Such praise! I blush from head to toe! 8-)

>     Enough of the frivolity. I had one question for
> you concerning your clouds. Did you notice,
> when you were creating the clouds, if over scaling
> of the media cause problems with maintaining the
> density of the clouds ? I have seen some evidence
> of this and I have heard a rather irate pov user
> cursing this behavior. I was just wondering how
> you got around it.

    I haven't really had such a problem. You have to remember that the
media density stays constant (I believe) no matter what the scaling, like
the later incarnation of halos. All that I usually find to be needed is
to change the base colour inversely with scale.    So, if  emission
<1,0.4,0.2> works at a scale of 1, then emission <1,0.4,0.2>/10 should
work at a scale of 10. Similarly with absorption and scattering.
    If this isn't the effect you mean then I'm afraid I'm at a loss. Can
you define the problem a bit more?

> Any way thanks for the opportunity to look at
> your file. I'll should have it totally screwed up
> within the hour.
>
> Ken Tyler

    You're welcome! It took me about 20min to get it tidy enough to post,
so an hour to mess it up is probably being pessimistic ... although, with
the speed it renders at, maybe not! :-/

    Happy rendering!
        Mike Andrews.