POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Video Cards : Re: Video Cards Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Cards
From: Ken
Date: 29 Sep 1998 05:24:14
Message: <36109904.8D0B4D65@pacbell.net>
s wrote:

> Thanx - so it would be better to get a decent 4Mb card and do the 16 Million
> color thing :) ?

  If your card doesn't support 16 M colors now you should see a
great improvement. 4 meg cards are good as far as I am concerned.
The only reason you might consider going for a card with more
memory and active 3d support is if you plan on viewing fast gaming
videos and large mpg movies.
    The card you mentioned earlier I believe has pretty good specs
for live/movie quality video.
    If your really going to get into raytracing for a while buy
the lesser card and invest the balance of your money on either
a faster CPU or add to your system memory.
    If you try to render some of the more memory intensive
scenes, and your system doesn't have enough memory, you
can slow down the render time quite a bit, because the system
spend time writing out to your hard drive.
    Most people are now recommending 64 megs of memory
for raytracing and personally I think 128 megs is a lot more
comfortable.
    Having said that I will probably get flamed by the people
that are still running on 16 meg systems.
   Oh well !

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: