POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Video Cards : Re: Video Cards Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:11:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Cards
From: Ken
Date: 29 Sep 1998 03:34:45
Message: <36107F5C.46A7B090@pacbell.net>
s wrote:

> If l used one of the newer 3-D video cards - Creative Lab's
> Voodoo for instance would this significantly improve rendering time and/or
> quality ? I realise that these cards are manufactured for gaming but could
> they work or is it worth buying a decent PCI SVGA card ?
>
> Shaun.

  It might make your images look prettier but it will have
no effect at all on your rendering time. The reason for
this is because Pov uses very complex mathmatical
calculations that simply take a lot of CPU power to
process. The video card on the other hand is a fast,
almost real time device. It just sits there, waiting on
your CPU to finish what it's doing, before it passes
on a little more of the image to be displayed.

Ken Tyler