POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : sphere scaling bug : Re: sphere scaling bug Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere scaling bug
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 20 Sep 1998 16:01:42
Message: <360a501e.227954931@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:52:45 -0400, Nathan Kopp <nk8### [at] ltuedu>
wrote:

>Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was with POV-Ray for WINDOWS.  One thing
>that I'm interested in, too, is how much of a speedup the multiply-the-radius
>optimization provides.  Although I guess that when it comes to ray-tracing,
>any little speedup helps!

Erm... my fix was for pov-ray for windows, too.  Look in the windows
directory for a file called config.h.  Change epsilon and add those
other two #defines.  Recompile.  Your spheres now render the same
size.  But who knows why epsilon was so big or what else this change
might break in heightfields etc.

Compared to using an ellipsoid intersection routine, I suppose the
speedup is probably pretty good.