POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This year's most ARROGANT email : Re: Z - This year's most ARROGANT letter Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Z - This year's most ARROGANT letter
From: Ken
Date: 20 Sep 1998 15:11:26
Message: <36054595.82F405B0@pacbell.net>
povray.org admin team wrote:

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:
>
> >David Greaves wrote:
> >
> >> If you look at it, even the letter Z (pronounced zed of course)  is arrogant.
> >> All those angles and straight lines.
> >
> >"Pronounced zed" ?
>
> Yep. The English way of saying the letter 'z' is 'zed'. Americans (and American
> influenced countries) say 'zee'.
>
> There's a bunch of other stuff, too. Most of them relate to Americans
> 'simplifying' words or sounds to make them either easier to pronounce, or
> easier to say. Hence colour becomes color, Aluminium becomes Aluminum, and so
> forth.

    I agree with what you say although the British are not
immune from doing the same thing. Take the common
expressions "telly" and "uni" for the correct pronounciation
of television and university.
    Either way it is no excuse for ridicule, calling it a progam bug,
and taking up your time with such trivialities.

Ken