POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New editor : Re: New editor Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New editor
From: G  Berry
Date: 5 Sep 1998 04:20:29
Message: <35f0e1b0.18783566@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 17:53:31 +0200, "Philippe Debar"
<phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>>(2) The editor behaviour which permits to select where
>>there aren't any character is really great. But a normal
>>text editor behaviour (like the last one) is more
>>convenient most of the time (I kinda checked this, I
>>watched myself working). This means: snap to the end of
>>line clicked in 'vacuum', left and right arrows can jump
>>to the previous or next line, don't add space at the end
>>of lines when inserting a carriage return in the 'vacuum'.
>>The 'select anywhere' feature could be used with
>>ctrl+click, like the collumn selection (this would be
>>coherent). Or you could toggle edit modes.

Well, I suppose you are calling "normal" behaviour the inability to
place the cursor past the end of a line of text, as in the older POV
editor. I actually prefer the new method myself,  but I had already
been using another editor that behaves in this way. In that editor,
there is an option in the user settings that either allows or prevents
cursor placement past the end of the line. I would slightly  prefer
that to having to hold Ctrl or anything else whenever I wanted to
place the cursor past the current end of the line.

Then again, I have also done a lot of scripting where the physical
layout of the code was important, because I was also employing
column-mode editing of similiar lines. It was frequently handy to add
generous amounts of white space to some of the shorter lines of code,
in order for the statements in those lines to physically line up with
similiar statements in a line above it. Sometimes I wanted to add
white space to the current end of a line, and then add a few
additional characters. Being able to simply click past the current end
of the line is a nice short cut, especially if  I'm simultaneously
changing every line in a 6Meg mesh file, using cloumn-mode selection
techniques.

Later,
Glen Berry

Vice Project Coordinator
The Internet Movie Project (IMP)
Homepage: http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/MovieProject/index.html

To reply via personal email, remove the "X" from Xno### [at] ezwvcom