POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New editor: Did you try this? : Re: New editor: Did you try this? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New editor: Did you try this?
From: G  Berry
Date: 5 Sep 1998 03:55:22
Message: <35f0dd17.17605842@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 20:12:35 -0700, "Pan" <pan### [at] syixcom> wrote:

>Ron Parker wrote in message <35efef25.0@news.povray.org>...
>>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998 15:06:48 +0200, Philippe Debar
>> <phi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>A feature I just recently dicovered, but... brilliant!
>>
>>That's... interesting.  I've never seen anything like that
>>before.  It'd be useful for modifying a bunch of similar lines
>>in exactly the same way, I guess.
>
>Column selects were in several DOS text editors.
>This feature has been missing from windows apps;
>until now. For those who use a strict structural
>approach to their pov script writing will find this
>feature a boon.
>
>Knowing this feature exists will inform how I
>eventually modify the insert menu of 3.1 ...

For the record, there is a very good Windows editor named "Ultra Edit"
which also has a column select mode. I find it extremely handy for
many things. It can help when editing CSV files, POV mesh files,
arrays of objects (not the modern implementation of the "array"
keyword, but old fashioned lists of similiar objects that shared one
or more 3-D coordinates, or other common characteristics.)

I'm very pleased to see that it's now a feature in POV-Ray. Now if it
were only possible to automatically paste a sequential series of
numbers into that selection...   :)

Later,
Glen Berry

Vice Project Coordinator
The Internet Movie Project (IMP)
Homepage: http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/MovieProject/index.html

To reply via personal email, remove the "X" from Xno### [at] ezwvcom