POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: F VERBAAS
Date: 4 Sep 1998 17:11:03
Message: <35f04957.0@news.povray.org>
I doubt whether a single GUI would be desirable, because of the different
look and feel expected on the different platforms. I advocate a per system
interface, applying the full strength of the platform/OS. But, I admit I am
a Win95 user, and therefore biased.

As far as Java is concerned, a program with the functions now performed by
for example, the GUI for Windows 95: a multiple document editor and a
manager for some settings which can be exported in the form of an ASCII
(.ini) file are well within the scope of a Java application, and it would
run with a satisfactory speed on most machines. Many features are ready
available in the form of 'JavaBeans' (the Java equivalent of (say) ActiveX
controls). As to the control of the render engine, this could be
accomplished trough the JNI (Java Native Interface), kicking the native code
of the render engine.

And forgive me I say it once again: JAVA IS MUCH MORE THAN APPLETS. It is a
full fledged programming language, very similar to C++, with the magnificent
exception of pointer arithmetic, and in that respect much more safe.

Frans