POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 4 Sep 1998 14:02:56
Message: <35f01d40.0@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Mika wrote in message <35f00712.0@news.povray.org>...
[snip]
>  It's however discouraging that I have never seen that Java VM although
>I use a sparc almost dayly.

That's because the VM is not really something "visible". It's more like the
Perl interpreter/compiler for example, the platform some other app runs on:
You start "Perl.exe myscript.pl" to execute myscript. Just like this you
start "Java.exe myapp.class" to start the java-application myapp. (Or
"jview.exe myapp.class" if you are using Microsoft's VM).

But as you wrote yourself earlier: The newer browsers all have a VM
installed, which is used to run applets. So if you have one of these
browsers, you have a VM too, even on your Sparc.
You had this right in your post, I only wanted to point out that Java
applications can be run without a browser, with the pure VM (and the
classfiles/packages of course).
Hasn't Corel developed a Java version of their WordPerfect suite (or did
they drop it)?
This would be an example of such an application and wouldn't run in a
browser either, but directly in the VM.

Greetings,
Johannes.