POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? : Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A portable POV-Ray graphical interface?
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 4 Sep 1998 07:02:16
Message: <35efbaa8.0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <fro### [at] charliecnsiitedu> wrote:
: I strongly disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!

: Eduard and I are doing the Mac version, and it is not the case that all use Windows.
I WILL NEVER (yes, never, I would stop computing at all!!!!!) use Windows as
development platform.
: And so you simply got the wrong image, why do you think there is this BIG note about
the source code and the Linux version etc.?
: We are working hard on the Mac side and you get the impression only Windows is
supported?

  I agree with the first writer.
  Ok, ok, mac version is also highly developed, but that doesn't change much
the original statement. I don't want to blame anyone either, but I also think
that povteam spends too much time and efforts on the windows (and the mac)
GUI. What I (and I think most of people) want is a good _raytracer_. A GUI
and an editor are not raytracers. They don't even benefit everyone (only
those using win95 or mac). All the work and resources put on the GUI means
absolutely nothing to those not using that GUI (and I don't know if the
wonderful GUI even helps or makes easier to make actual good-quality
raytracing).
  What does the GUI development actually give to the final images or the
source codes I get? Nothing. I want good images and an easy macro language
to make them. A GUI is an unessential point in all this (specially because
I _can't_ use the GUI at all!).
  There are lots of things to develop in the raytracer itself. Why to waste
time and resources on something unessential?
  Of course I can't complain about anything. Povray is free and made by
volunteers, who receive no money from their great efforts. They can do
whatever they want. They can even stop developing povray if they want to.
And I totally understand and agree with that.
  I just want to say, that it should be wiser to concentrate on the essential
things and save resources from unessential things which give nothing to the
actual raytracer.
  (This is absolutely paranoiac thinking, but I can't stop thinking that the
povhelp program is not supported anymore because all the efforts are put on
the windows GUI instead...)

--
                                                           - Warp. -