POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : NURBS, etc : Re: NURBS, etc Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS, etc
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 14 Aug 1998 04:48:17
Message: <35d3eb9d.796705@194.174.214.10>
Hi Erik, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Strange, when I do a test with a -=simple=- patch it exports just fine,
> where all the patches I exported before got turned into big sets of
> triangles.
Maybe you were using Rhino and got confused <G>.

> ...does anyone think Moray and Povray
> will support NURBS in the future?  If not, why not?
NURBS modelling is an extremely math-intensive thing, especially when
you start getting into trimming. I think the rendering (or
tesselation) part is not that bad, but someone would need to implement
it for POV-Ray. I'm sure at some point a NURBS surface will find it's
way into POV-Ray.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray