POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Refraction : Re: Refraction Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:11:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Refraction
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 4 Aug 1998 04:14:03
Message: <35c6b4bb.0@news.povray.org>
Ted Fisher wrote in message <35C### [at] nagcscoloradoedu>...
>Trying to make a prism.  I'm aware that the light won't separate into
>the spectrum, but I just want to see the light bend properly.  I have a
>triangular prism set up, but the light passes through it as if it
>weren't there.  It should bend based on n1sin(theta1)=n2sin(theta2)
>where n is index of refraction and theta is the incident angle.  There
>is no bending.  I tried the sphere demo in the docs.  The image seen
>through the sphere inverts properly, but beams of light coming directly
>from light sources are not distorted.

You mean you want to have a "beam" of light going through the prism,
changing it's course two times (coming in and out of the glass) and then
lighting up something that does not lie in the straight path of the original
"beam"?

Sorry, but that is not possible in POV-Ray.

It is called "caustics" (as far as I now) and just as specular reflection
(light being reflected from a mirror creating a reflected light-spot, like
the hundreds of spots from a "disco ball") its just not possible with POV,
due to the method the raytracing in POV-Ray works (to be true: *Most* of the
raytracers do not support this).

Johannes.