POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : An Idea for "Backwards-Raytracing" : An Idea for "Backwards-Raytracing" Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  An Idea for "Backwards-Raytracing"
From: Adrian A  Baumann
Date: 25 Jul 1998 21:03:30
Message: <35ba7252.0@news.povray.org>
Hiya Folks,

I had an idea about a possible new feature today:
There could be an object-level keyword "backwards_samples" or whatever you
want to call itwhich would work as follows.
Imagine a ray traced "forwards", i.e. from the spectator towards the scene.
Whenever the ray hits an object, the desired number of ray is spawned from
this point towards the objects that have the "backwards_samples" keyword
set. If this ray doesn't hit a light source (or pass very close to one), it
is disregarded. If, however, it does, the point this new ray comes from
could be made lighter. I'm thinking about another kind of caustics here.
This would not limit the effect of caustics to the shadow of the object,
although it would make tracing quite a bit slower...
If we also take the other objects' ambient value into account, this could be
used to have some sort of "faked radiosity", depending on speed and
usefulness.

Let me know what do you think.

Ade