POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Future PovRay source code availability : Re: Future PovRay source code availability Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future PovRay source code availability
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 24 Jul 1998 10:58:09
Message: <35b892f1.0@news.povray.org>
Eric Paquette <Eri### [at] imagfr> wrote:
: The beta is out and the source code isn't. Why would they want to keep the
: source code secret when they feel they can send out a beta version?

: The time limited beta version with only compiled versions for 3 specific OS.

: I really don't see the point in having a time limited compiled only version
: of the application and to later release the source code.

: Ok, I might be a bit paranoid ;-)

  Yes, it seems so :)
  Povteam already did this with the release of povray 3.0. The reason was
very simple and understandable: They don't want old beta versions wandering
around there for years and years (as happened with povray 2.2) and lots of
people asking about bugs already corrected in the final version.
  Also it doesn't make sense to publish half finished, deficient code. A
beta version is just what it means: a test version, not the final version.
It's designed for testing and bug hunting, not as a complete final program.
  I understand this perfectly and also agree completely, and I don't see any
problem with it.
  You should be happy that they actually released a beta version. They don't
have to release any test versions if they don't want to.

--
                                                              - Warp. -