POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Future PovRay source code availability : Re: Future PovRay source code availability Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future PovRay source code availability
From: Mark Arrasmith
Date: 24 Jul 1998 10:50:01
Message: <35b89109.0@news.povray.org>
>If the PovRay team would give a good answer to the question
>"Why do you release only time limited compiled version of
>PovRay 3.1?" and put it on their web site, it would clear what
>seems to be just a big misunderstanding (which it seems I
>pushed even further).

On 7/10 I asked the same question on the Windows Source code . . .

>povray.org admin team wrote in message
>
>>Due to the amount of work involved in releasing a copy of
>>the Windows source (a lot of stuff needs to be changed to
>>make it 'unofficial') the source won't be released until
>>after POV 3.1 is officially released.

My apologies to the pov team if I mess this up, but I think the general idea
is to get POV 3.1 working before anything else.

The reason for the time limited beta version is because it is BETA.  This
isn't the final release people.  Play with it if you are interested but it
has bugs.  Time limited betas means no old beta versions floating around,
and then down the road you don't have people saying "I have this problem . .
. is it a bug with POV 3.1?"  And then you have to answer "No, you have beta
version X and it works in the final release so go get that."

Don't worry.  POV-Ray is free and will remain free.  But, all of us on the
fringe (AlphaNT etc.) will have to wait until 3.1 is released before we have
a chance to play with it.

- arrasmith