POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Clarifying some issues and a General RFC : Re: Clarifying some issues and a General RFC Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clarifying some issues and a General RFC
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 9 Jul 1998 15:03:54
Message: <35a4eab5.21233171@194.174.214.10>
Hi Justin Rogers, you recently wrote in povray.programming:

> Single-Threaded versions are clearly and
> decisively slower in the rendering process.
You can't apply an observation from a commercial program to general
software! Maybe the single-threaded ones were badly written, and the
multi-threaded ones were rewritten. Maybe it's a subjective impression
because the UI was more responsive (seperate UI and render thread).

> And the only reason 3DSMax and Bryce3D are so quick is because
> they are multithreaded...
Just because some commercial apps have multithreading, doesn't make
them render faster. I doubt that more than one thread is used for
rendering (unless it's running on a multiple CPU machine).

It's totally illogical that POV-Ray could render a scene faster with
more than one rendering thread. If you don't think so, I'd like to
know how this is supposed to work, because then I'll create a thread
for every pixel and have the image rendered faster than you can
blink<g>.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray