POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV ON MULTI CPU : Re: POV ON MULTI CPU Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV ON MULTI CPU
From: Justin Rogers
Date: 8 Jul 1998 05:04:14
Message: <35a327fe.0@news.povray.org>
The main thing here would be to examine the source code and generate a
multithreaded version of the code...  The speed would increase by having
multiple threads running anyway even on single processor machines.

    And after examining the source code for POV-Ray this could probably be
accomplished in a week or two...  I have to look more closely into the
relationship between how the rays are shot, but I may be able to roll out a
version that will render multiple frames at a time.  So though you may not
be able to get single frames running any faster at least you'll be able to
render more than one frame at a time.

--
_____________________________________
Justin Rogers, CEO DigiTec Web Consultants
Tim Grubb wrote in message <34C6F034.A7FD492E@neta.com>...
>The answer is no. Although you can run two copies of POV at the same
>time and one process gets put on each CPU and there is no performance
>decrease. I recently had a Dual pII 300 here with 256 megs and I ran a
>scene file and it took 4 mins. When I started a second copy of POV
>running each of the files finished in 4 mins.
>
>Timothy A. Grubb
>
>Scott Anderson wrote:
>
>> I was wondering whether POV uses multi CPU's on a OS like NT?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Justin Rogers.vcf.txt' (1 KB)