POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : suggestions for grass : Re: suggestions for grass Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: suggestions for grass
From: K  Tyler
Date: 31 Aug 1998 20:13:23
Message: <35EB2DA3.3CC84E4@pacbell.net>
Roy Lane wrote:

> thanks again K.
> I'll try this out.  I tried using a height field that I generated from a
> grayscale gif that was just a 100x100 pixel image of random noise.  I think my
> biggest problem was scaling.  When rendered it produced long dark lines.  I
> guess I'm still a bit lost as to how the image actually gets used when you
> scale it.  I realize each pixel/value is used to determine the height, but if I
> center it on the origin and then scale it by 100 in x and y does that in effect
> make each pixel represent a 1x1 unit on my plane?
>
> Roy

  I think that would be true. I have heard that some people have figured out
how to do realistic grasses with proceedural methods. I have not seen their
methods nor have I been successful my self at creating one. In the mean time
I go the image map route. Sigh ! As you probably noticed though I included
an example for the grass.gif image map using a height field. I think it looks
pretty good. I would like to find another image of grass that is not quite so
course to add to my collection. The grass.gif image is great for wild grasses
but looks a little to rough for lawns and golf courses.

K.Tyler