POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Moray/Povray : Re: Moray/Povray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moray/Povray
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 30 Aug 1998 12:58:51
Message: <35E98511.4D3198E6@istar.ca>
Erik wrote:

> Simon de Vet wrote:
> >
> > marc wrote:
> >
> > > hmmm main difference, Moray is a modeler POVRAY is a renderer. you can
> > > create scenes in both  but if you want to see them, you have to use POVRAY.
> > > Moray by itself only makes wireframe pics.
> >
> > So basically it's POVRAY by itself, or MORAY and POVRAY. Moray alone if
> > worthless....
> >
> > All I can say is if you are a programming type, use straight Povray.... If
> > you're not (like me) use Moray, as it saves a lot of mental visualization, at
> > the loss of some power.
> >
> > Simon
> > http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet
>
> Or best yet, use Moray to make your textures and position everything, and
> tweak the .pov file it exports.  Best of both worlds.  Go over to the
> binary animations group, I have an asteroid flyby in which I used Moray
> to position everything, then I edited the .pov file to take advantage of
> the clock variable.  It really is a powerful combination.  BTW, animate
> the turbulence of a box shaped marble pattern halo with a gradient made
> to look like lightning.  Now THAT is a cool thing to see, even cooler
> if you oscilate the turbulence using a periodic function such as cos

I've started doing much the same thing.... That way I can get modeling much nicer
than I coupld make with code, and still use Colefax's .incs for lens flares and
starfields (for space scenes)

For a little example of this merger, take a look at
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet/Tesla1.jpg

Simon
http://home.istar.ca/~sdevet