POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Re: Help - problems with scaling sphere and cylinder : Re: Help - problems with scaling sphere and cylinder Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help - problems with scaling sphere and cylinder
From: JK
Date: 26 Aug 1998 17:48:38
Message: <35E47386.7A6BA0E7@hotmail.com>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> JK <kla### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> : a sphere in
> : POV does consist of lots of flat pieces (but (phong)shaded so you don't
> : notice).
>
>   Doh!
>   AFAIK povray calculates mathematically perfect spheres, like a real
> raytracer, not polyhedrons made of triangles like some scanline renderers.
> (the mathematical intersection of a line and a sphere is easy to calculate)
>   You have to prove your allegation.
>
> --
>                                                               - Warp. -

  Oh, you're being so nice to me.
OK, I'll have to admit that I didn't know this for a fact... and it seems I was
wrong. (Lots of other 3d programs use polyhedrons, though... the assumption
that POV did as well was wrong, and now that I think about it, it would be
strange if POV would use those, since POV uses mathematical formulas (as
clearly visible in the Poly object) to calculate objects.

So here it is: Nieminen Mika, you're right (... as if you didn't know already
huh? ;-)

But hey, I was in a state of despair: there was really something weird going
on. Since you're into the inner workings of POV, maybe you know the answer. Or
perhaps I was right about at least one thing. Now I'm really curious... Is it a
bug or not?
(take a look at the source Andrew Hedges gave)

JK