POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : NURBS, etc : Re: NURBS, etc Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: NURBS, etc
From: Erik
Date: 13 Aug 1998 22:11:48
Message: <35D38EF1.84145F9D@3-cities.com>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi Erik, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > Oops, when I said meshes I meant bezier patch
> Aha. In that case let me quote you again:
> > Also, what about getting Moray to export real meshes to povray
> > instead of turning it all into a huge set of triangles which
> > takes forever to parse?
> Just what should Moray not turn into triangles and export directly to
> POV-Ray as bezier patches? Moray does not export triangles unless
> neccessary. If you are talking about the NURBS in Rhino: it is Rhino
> that is writing triangles and not bezier patches, you should speak to
> them. I have no idea how hard it is to turn a NURBS surface into a set
> of bezier patches, I would guess it's pretty complex, though.
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Strange, when I do a test with a -=simple=- patch it exports just fine,
where all the patches I exported before got turned into big sets of
triangles.  This of course makes me look like an idiot and undoubtedly
I will never again be taken seriously by this group.  But back to the
original intention of this thread...does anyone think Moray and Povray
will support NURBS in the future?  If not, why not?  If so, what
benefits do you think this will bring other than increased ease of
modelling?