POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : no directional light? : Re: no directional light? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 10:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no directional light?
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 12 Aug 1998 19:39:55
Message: <35D219CB.FACC2410@flash.net>
Chris Chiu wrote:

> I just started using povray yesterday, and I am a bit surprised that there
> is no directional light in pov-ray.  Is this true, or did I just missed it
> in the documentation?  Thanks.

You are correct.  All that exist are point lights, which
can be constrained in the form of "spotlights" and
"cylinder lights", but remain basically point sources.
Area lights are implemented as sort of a superposition
of point sources.

To approximate directional lights, you can put the
point source so far from the scene that the solid angle
subtended by the visible objects relative to the light
origin is small.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/