POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Starfield : Re: Starfield Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Starfield
From: K  Tyler
Date: 7 Aug 1998 12:55:27
Message: <35CB152F.69E07A1@pacbell.net>
Josh English wrote:

> The main shortcoming is that you can't make it hollow, and it isn't hollow be
> default, so Halos and Fog wont work. This may be different in 3.1, but I haven't
> looked into that too much yet. Complete Textures aren't always necesary, but
> I've been tempted to build clouds on the sky sphere and add a normal
> statement...so I have to fake it. I realize that it's supposed to be a more
> interesting background than the Background statement, but I think it would be
> cool to be able to do more with it...imagine a sky that glows with ambience.....
>
> Josh English

    I didn't know about the hollow restrictions, but it makes
since if you think about the way the sky_sphere is
implemented. I'm sure every halo container in the scene
would light up like a christmas tree.

    I don't think the POV-Ray Team really meant it to be a major
feature. Instead I think it was created to facilitate a quick and
easy way to add a background to your scene. In the docs
they make a reference to the sky_sphere as an addition to the
old, and seldom used background feature. It's even decried in
the same section of the docs.

    You also stated  "...imagine a sky that glows with ambience....."

    By default  the sky_sphere has a finish of  ambient 1  diffuse 0.
    and this cannot be changed.  So you got your wish !

K.Tyler