POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : povray crashes : Re: povray crashes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray crashes
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 3 Aug 1998 12:53:04
Message: <35C5DCDB.D13B4717@chop.swmed.edu>
Ron Parker wrote:

> >Even better,  can any experienced povray programmer look into that
> >problem himself ?
>
> I'd be happy to take a look at it, but you don't seem to mention the type
> of object you're working with.

    Dear Mr. Parker,

      I didn't mention it because I have a bunch of different objects. I have
spheres, cylinders
    and smooth_triangles - but I can't say which object caused the problem. I
guess one can figure it
    out by looking it up in the Ray_Intersection->Object struct - right ?
    Mark Arrasmith told me that he had a similar problem on Dec Alpha machines.
He traced it back
    to some object that was parallel to the horizontal plane and he sort of
fixed it by rotating the
    scene slightly. If this is true, this fix won't help me much because I have
thousands of ojects so that
    in any given orientation I might have a few objects that are horizontal.

    In the meantime I fixed it unprofessionally by renormalizing Raw_Normal -
and it seems to work
    well so far. There are no more crashes and no black or white pixels.

    ( If you would like to have a crack at it, I could send you the scene that
causes the problem ( >  10 Mbytes; or you could tell me how to modify the
source to find out what the problem is. )

    Thanks,

--

   Lothar Esser

Dr. Lothar Esser