POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0 : Re: Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems Compiling POV 3.01 with Visual C++ 5.0
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 29 Jul 1998 10:04:14
Message: <35BF1DF8.2BDC37A@fv.aetec.ee>
Hello!

I've compiled PovRay with VC about 6 month ago, so probably I've forgotten, how
I get it worked, but here are some tips to try.

Eric Fausett wrote:

> Could some one help me with this problem?  Has anyone encountered this
> error?
> I'm wondering why comctl32.lib was not one of the linking libraries icluded
> in the project file

Well, if I remember correctly, then I had same problem. But as said in docs, VC
is not supported.

> that I downloaded with the source.  After compiling I still get the error
> message:
>
> Error: Could not create editor window
>
> This error happens when:
>
> ((editor_window = Edit.CreateEditor (main_window, tabbed_window, HomePath))
> == NULL)
>
> on line 5243 of PVENGINE.C.
>
> Can any one tell me what I might be doing wrong?

> I have had one response telling me to put editdll.dll in the same directory,

What do You mean by same directory? Did You put it to the same directory with
executable file (VC puts binary files to debug or bin directory, not to the
sources directory)?
Do You have installed (official) version of PovRay on the same box? Does it
work? If not, then there may be problem with editor DLL (corrupted).
Rebuild all files (from Build/rebuild all menu). If this does not work, then
rebuild again. VC has incremental building ability, which is great, but
sometimes it just does not work.
Which project target type You have (debug or release)? I had some problems,
when I tried to compile release version with maximum speed optimization: e.g.
function splitfn in file pvmisc.c produced incorrect result (input parameter
filename was modified within function; if I used local variable instead of it,
all  worked OK). (target could be set from Project/settings menu).
Try to run program without editor (set variable UseEditors to 0 in
pvengine.ini), if this does not bring PovRay up, then there is problem with
main window or tabbed window initialization.

BTW, if You get it running and have big font on tabs, then add following line
to beginning of function initialise_tabbed_window (in pvtext.c) to fix it:
  memset(&lf, 0, sizeof(LOGFONT));

Hope this helps.