POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Wall of China Problem : Re: Wall of China Problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wall of China Problem
From: ReVerSi
Date: 26 Jul 1998 06:13:43
Message: <35BAF2EC.4C94@t-online.de>
Dan Connelly wrote:

> Depending on the complexity of the terrain and the scales
> involved, it might also be a good idea to run the original height
> field through a smoothing filter (using appropriate software --
> hf_gray_16 images can't be trivially filtered by most paint programs)
> to prevent the wall from tracking every small length-scale deviation
> in the underlying ground.  Then the smoothed version can be used for
> the wall, with the unmodified version for the ground.

Very good idea indeed; on discussing the matter in detail with David,
I'd seen this problem, especially if walls are not quite narrow and the
height_field has a considerable slope perpendicular to the axis of the
wall segment. Then the top of the wall will not look quite clean.

But your suggestion should solve this too. I'll make smoothing the
terrain directly with leveller, the program that creates the
height_field too. Then I'll save both height_fields and take the
smoothed for intersection (top) and the unsmoothed for union (foot) of
the wall.

Thanks.
Reinhard